The Epson TM-M30 Wifi receipt printer connects to your local network with a Wifi dongle. Once the installation setup is complete, users print receipts to the TM-M30 from an iOS device through a shared network connection.
A note about using a Wifi connection: please ensure your Wifi dongle is connected to the USB port on the printer before beginning setup. We recommend the printer to be installed within 12 feet (3.7 m) of your internet router - further distance between the printer and router may result in connectivity issues.
Follow these steps when setting up your Epson TM-m30 receipt printer:
- Verify hardware requirements
- Insert a paper roll
- Connect the printer to a power supply
- Configure the printer network connection
- Add the printer to Lightspeed Restaurant
- Test print a receipt
To set up your receipt printer, you'll need the following equipment:
- Epson TM-M30 receipt printer
- 24-volt AC power adapter
- AC power cable
- Paper roll (58-mm width)
- Wifi dongle*
- Connected router (we recommend routers set up in close proximity to your hardware and printers)
- iOS device installed with the latest Lightspeed Restaurant POS app
* Before beginning the setup process, please connect the Wifi dongle into the USB port on the bottom of the printer.
Insert a paper roll
- To open the printer cover, push the lever on the right-hand side of the printer away from you and lift the cover upwards.
- Insert a paper roll with the paper pulling under and out (see image below). While doing so, make sure the paper roll stays taut and doesn't unravel.
- Pull the paper out past the cutter at the front of the printer.
- Push the cover down and snap the lever back into place.
Connect the receipt printer to a power supply
- Make sure you AC cable is not connected to a power supply (unplug if it is).
- Connect the female end of the AC cable into the pronged AC adapter socket.
- Connect the male end of the AC adapter into the circular power port at the bottom of your printer.
- Connect the pronged end of the AC cable into an electrical power supply.
- On top of the printer, press the power button and wait for the blue power lightto appear.
- A piece of paper should print once the power has been turned on - this initialization ticket identifies the printer's MAC and default IP address (192.168.192.168). Keep this ticket nearby for the next installation steps.
Configure the printer network connection
The next steps of the set-up process include connecting your printer and iOS device to the same network. This process is facilitated with an app called Epson TM Utility.
- Log in to your iOS device and download the free Epson TM Utility app from the App Store.
- Open the downloaded Epson TM Utility app on your device and go to Wifi Setup Wizard page.
- In the Printer field at the top of the page, select TM-M30 and tap Next.
- You will be asked to confirm if your printer has printed an initialization ticket. If the printer printed this ticket after turning on for the first time, tap Next. If this ticket never printed, tap Not Printed to start troubleshooting.
- What's an initialization ticket? When turning on the printer for the first time, the printer will print a ticket with a MAC and a default IP address of 192.168.192.168. Keep this ticket on hand. If the printer did not print an initialization ticket with the above IP address, turn off the printer and try a factory reset by pressing the SW-Reset switch for at least five seconds. The SW-reset switch is located on the bottom of the printer beside the cash drawer port and is accessed with a pin or ballpoint pen.
- A setup profile page will open on the Utility app. Tap Next.
- A popup will open asking if you want to download a configuration profile. Tap Allow.
- Tap Close on the download popup message and exit the Epson Utility app.
- Go to your iOS device Settings and view the “Profile downloaded” message at top of the page. Tap Profile downloaded. Tap Install on the popup. Tap Done once the Epson printer profile has been downloaded.
- Go to the iOS Settings > WiFi and view your available Wifi networks. On this list you will see EPSON_Printer listed as a Wifi network option. Tap and connect to EPSON_Printer.
- Once selecting the EPSON_Printer network, a ticket should print from the printer confirming a connection between the printer and device.
- Close the iOS Settings and open the Epson Utility app. The Epson Status Check page will display the last Wifi network that the app was connected to. Select Next.
- If you do not have a password on your Wifi network, tap None. If you do have a password, change the security type from None to the security encryption type configured on your router, usually WPA2-PSK(TKIP/AES). Tap Next.
- Enter your Wifi password, if required. Tap Next.
- Specify the IP address type of the printer, by default Auto (DHCP). Tap Next.
- From the Network Settings Confirmation page, apply and confirm your network settings for the printer by tapping Set to printer.
- Navigate to the iOS device Settings > WiFi and reconnect to your Wifi network.
- Return to the TM Utility app. Tap Next.
- At this point, the printer will auto print a ticket with the IP address assigned by your router. Use this IP address when adding the printer to Lightspeed Restaurant.
Add the printer to Lightspeed Restaurant
- From your iOS device, open the Restaurant POS app and log-in. Go to the Manager page.
- From Restaurant Manager navigation menu, select Printing > Printers.
- Select the Add New Printer button at the top-right of the screen.
- Give the printer a name based on its function (e.g. Hot food).
- Select Epson as the type and TM-M30 as the model from the drop down menus.
- Enter the IP address your printer is connected to. The correct IP address will be on the ticket that was printed after your printer was paired with your Wifi network (see Step #17 from the previous section, Configure the printer network connection).
- Select the Save button at the top-right of the screen.
- On the left-hand menu, select Printer Templates.
- Create or select an existing Receipt printer template.
- In the Edit Printer Template popup, beside the setting Printer, choose Select a Printer.
- Select the new printer by name.
- Select Ok to save.
Print a receipt
It's a good idea to perform a print test and confirm a connection between the Restaurant POS device and printer. To perform a print test:
- From the User screen on the POS, select Tools.
- Tap Print test.
- All printers configured in Restaurant Manager will show.
- Green: Printer is connected.
- Red: Printer is not connected.
- If the printer is connected (green), tap it to perform a quick print test.
For more information, see Performing a print test.
All set! You're now be able to print receipts from the Restaurant POS device with the Epson TM-M30 Wifi receipt printer.
Have you connected your cash drawer? A cash drawer connects directly to a receipt printer. See About cash drawers for more information.