Note: This is only available for merchants in the United States processing their payments with Cayan as an integrated payment processor or with Lightspeed Payments using the Verifone P400+, the MX915, or the MagTek iDynamo Swiper.
You can pre-authorize a credit card for a specified dollar amount—thereby guaranteeing payment—before adding items to the customer's order (e.g., in the case of a bar tab).
To pre-authorize a card:
- On the Order screen, tap Actions > Pre-authorize card.
- Enter the amount you would like to pre-authorize.
- Insert or swipe the card when instructed.
Once the authorization is approved, you will see the pre-authorized balance marked in green. As you add items to the order, their costs will be deducted from the pre-authorized amount.
When you are ready to close the order, go to the Payments screen and tap Finalize. You may then adjust the Tip as needed.
What if I don't add items after pre-authorizing someone's card?
- If no items are added to an order containing a pre-authorization, the pre-authorization will be voided during the payment-capturing process.
Are there any limits to how much can be charged?
- For merchants with Lightspeed Payments, the receipt total and tip cannot exceed 11 times the pre-authorized amount.