Import gift cards from an outside system if you want to use them with Lightspeed. Export your Lightspeed gift cards to generate a spreadsheet with their details, such as current balances and expiration dates.
Importing gift cards
Import, or upload, gift card numbers and balances from an outside system to allow those cards to be used as payment in the Lightspeed Restaurant POS app.
Important: Before continuing, be sure to export all gift card numbers and balances from your existing gift card system. These details are required to perform the steps in this section.
- From the Gift Cards page, click Upload.
- Click the CSV template link to download the spreadsheet template used for uploading gift cards.
- Open the CSV template file in spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel, Google Sheets, etc.) to edit it.
- Enter each gift card number in a separate row under the id column. Enter each gift card balance in the amount column next to the corresponding card.
Important: To ensure a successful upload, your file must contain:
- Less than 10,000 total gift cards
- Only the two columns included on the template
- Fewer than 255 characters in each cell
- Save the modified template as a .CSV file.
Important: Only .CSV files are supported by the gift card upload tool. If you're not sure how to save as a .CSV file, refer to the help documentation for your spreadsheet software.
- On the Gift Cards page, click Choose CSV file and select the file saved in step 5.
- Wait for the gift card upload task to successfully finish.
The imported cards should now be reflected on the Gift Cards page. Don't see them in the Summary or Overview section? Try refreshing your browser.
Exporting gift cards
Export, or download, gift cards from Restaurant Manager to generate a spreadsheet of all your current Lightspeed gift cards. This spreadsheet contains the same information as the Overview section of the Gift Cards page with an additional field for the location where each card was activated.
- From the Gift Cards page, click Download.
- Wait for the export file to download.
- Open the export file in spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel, Google Sheets, etc.) to view it.
Learn how to access the Gift Cards page and read its reporting by visiting our Understanding the Gift Cards page article.