Note: This is only available for merchants in the United States using Lightspeed Payments. However, this feature is not available on Mobile Tap payment terminals.
If your customer has a $0.00 subtotal for a comped bill, you can still pre-authorize a charge to their credit card in order to process a tip.
To add a tip to a comped bill:
- On the Tables screen, tap a table to start a new order or use an open receipt that has been discounted to $0.00.
- Tap Pay in the top right.
- Select the preferred payment type for this transaction. You will then see an alert regarding the conditions of the pre-authorization. Note: Only payment types configured with the Swiper, Cayan Genius, or Manual Card Entry types are eligible.
- Enter the amount you would like to pre-authorize. This amount will not be charged to the card until payment is finalized.
- Process the card on the payment terminal or swiper, or input the card details manually according to the payment type selected in step 3.
- Once the pre-authorization is successful, a merchant and a customer copy of the transaction slip will print with an amount of $0.00 including lines for the tip and signature. If the payment type is not set to automatically print, you may swipe on the payment line and print.
- You may now enter the customer's tip or finalize the receipt and adjust the tip at the end of service.
Note: If a receipt contains a pre-authorization but the tip has not been added, the pre-authorization will be voided during the payment process.