This article explains how to set up your Genius terminal hardware, from unboxing to connecting to your network. Once your terminal is connected, be sure to configure settings on Manager before making a sale. In this article, we'll go over:
When you receive the Genius terminal, you should have the following components:
- Genius MX915 payments terminal
- Communications module (external attachment with ports)
- 12V power adapter & cable
- Ethernet cable
Connecting your hardware
Connecting your terminal to your network and power involves a few simple steps. Make sure that wherever you set up your terminal, you're within range of your internet router (or switch) and a power source.
1. First, take the communication module piece and slide it firmly into place on the back of the terminal so that the ports face outwards.
The tabs will click into place when the module is fully inserted:
2. Take your power adapter and cable. Plug the power cable into the communication module's power socket. Connect the pronged plug into a power source.
3. Next, plug one end of your ethernet cable into a port on the communications module, and then plug the other end of the ethernet cable into your router (or switch). The internet router (or switch) will need to be within range of your terminal so that the cable can reach.
Obtaining IP address
You'll need to obtain the terminal's IP address to add the terminal onto Lightspeed Manager. To find out your the terminal's IP address:
1. After you have plugged your terminal into ethernet and a power source, the terminal will turn on. Wait until the terminal has booted up and a Genius logo appears on screen.
2. From the idle screen, tap 000 onto the device keypad. An Admin modal will appear on screen prompting for a password.
3. Using the keypad, enter the default admin password: 9416557. Once entered, press the green button on the terminal.
4. The screen will display the terminal's IP address and other information, such as the firmware version. Take note of the IP address displayed on the terminal screen. You will need this to complete the configuration process from Restaurant Manager.
5. Press the red X (cancel) button to return to the idle screen.
Almost there! Now that your terminal is connected, simply configure payment settings on Manager.
Once configured, you're ready to process a sale.